3v1 Rotating Defenders
This 3v1 game will focus on keeping possession in a tight space. Work on passing, decision making, movement on and off the ball as well as improve communication.
3v1 Rotating Defenders
This 3v1 game will focus on passing, decision making, movement on and off the ball as well as improve communication.
- Create a grid that is approximately 10X10 yards.
- Split the team into groups of six.
- Place three players inside the grid as attackers in an alternate jersey.
- The remaining three players line up as defenders behind one corner cone with the supply of balls.
- Create multiple grids to allow for more involvement.
- The first defender passes a ball into the three attackers.
- The defender immediately steps into the grid and becomes the defender creating a 3v1 inside the grid.
- The three attackers attempt to put together as many passes as possible.
- The attackers continue passing until the defender wins the ball or it is played out of the area.
- Once the play is dead, the next defender plays into the same three attackers, and play resumes.
- Adjust grid (larger grid = easier for attackers but harder for defenders; smaller drid = harder for attackers but easier for defenders)
Drill Coaching Points
- Focus on the quality of passes such as weight, pace, accuracy.
- A well-timed run facing the passing direction will assure a more accurate pass.
- The players must communicate with each other to make the game easier.
- Players must concentrate on making runs off the ball.
- Encourage players to play in 1 or 2 touches.
- Good passes to feet
- Good first touch towards space
- Good decision making
- Speed of play/decisions
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.