Diagonal Soccer Shooting Drill
This simple soccer shooting drill is great for warm-up to a shooting practice or warm-up before a game.
diagonal soccer shooting drill, soccer shooting
Simple soccer shooting drill great for warm-up to a shooting practice or warm-up before a game.
- Create a 10X10 grid just beyond on the edge of the penalty area.
- Divide the team into two lines on the far cones.
- One player from each line steps up to the cone near the edge penalty area. This player becomes the player that lays the ball off to the shooter at the cone.
- Player 1 starts by passing a diagonal ball to player 4.
Player 4 lays the ball off into space for player 1 to run onto and strike a one-touch shot on goal.
- The shooting player (player 1) takes the place of player 4.
- Player 4 collects the ball from the goal or shags any missed shots and gets back into line with a ball.
- Next, Player 2 passes a diagonal ball to player 3.
- Player 3 lays the ball off to player 2, who has a one-touch shot on goal.
- Player 2 becomes the target player.
- Player (player 3) collects the ball from the goal or shags any missed shots and gets back into line with a ball.
- Make sure the players switch lines, so they shoot with both feet.
- Have the target player flick a ball into the air for the shooting player to volley or half-volley.
- For less-skilled players, have them pick up the balls and toss them in the air for the shooting player to volley or half-volley.
Drill Coaching Points
- Good controlled approach on the ball
- Plant foot in a good spot next to the ball
- Shoot with the appropriate foot
- Hit the ball on target
- 4 - U4, Under 4, 4 and Under
- 5 - U5, Under 5, 5 and Under
- 6 - U6, Under 6, 6 and Under
- 7 - U7, Under 7, 7 and Under
- 8 - U8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- 9 - U9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- 10 - U10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- 11 - U11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- 12 - U12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- 13 - U13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- 14 - U14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- 15 - U15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- 16 - U16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- 17 + - U17, U18, U19, U20, and Older
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.