Follow the Leader Dribbling
In this drill, players follow a leader who dribbles the ball around the field, performing various movements and turns. The followers must mimic the leader's actions, encouraging them to pay close attention and react quickly. Use this drill to help enhance dribbling skills and agility and to develop the ability to imitate and react to different movements and techniques.
follow the leader soccer dribbling game
In this drill, players follow a leader who dribbles the ball around the field, performing various movements and turns. The followers must mimic the leader's actions, encouraging them to pay close attention and react quickly.
- Select one player as the leader.
- The other players line up behind and follow the leader, each with a soccer ball.
- Define a large enough area on the field for the drill.
- The leader starts dribbling, and the followers start to dribble their balls, mimicking the leader’s movements.
- The leader should change speed, direction, and dribbling techniques frequently.
- Encourage the leader to be creative with their movements, using different parts of the feet and incorporating turns.
- After a few minutes, rotate the leader so each player can lead.
- Skill-Specific Moves: Have the leader perform specific dribbling techniques (e.g., inside foot, outside foot, sole rolls) for followers to replicate.
- Obstacle Integration: Integrate cones or other obstacles for the leader to dribble around, increasing complexity.
- Speed Variation: Vary the speed of the drill, from slow dribbling to fast-paced moves.
- Stress the importance of keeping the ball close for better control.
- Encourage followers to keep their heads up to observe the leader’s movements.
- Teach players to use different parts of their feet and to be agile with quick changes in direction.
- Highlight the importance of spatial awareness and reaction time.