Split the Defenders Passing Game
The split the defenders passing game, soccer passing drill is excellent for a little more advanced player from 10 years old to 14 years and focuses on passing to split two defenders.
Split the Defenders Passing Game Soccer Passing Drill
The split the defender passing soccer drill is great for a little more advanced player to focus on passing to split two defenders.
- Create a grid approximately 18x18 yards.
- Divide the team into three teams of two players.
- Build multiple grids for additional games.
- Switch the paired teammates to other grids to work with other players.
- Two teams work together on the outside of the grid while the two defenders work on the inside of the grid.
- The four players on the outside keep possession and keep the ball from the defending team in the grid.
- The outside team scores a point when their teammate passes the ball between two defenders (SPLIT), and their teammate cleanly receives the pass from across the grid.
- If a player on the attacking team makes a mistake, he and his partner become the defenders and the team winning the ball comes outside the cones and joins the other attackers.
- When the defensive team gets split, they have to win the ball one extra time. So for example, if the two defenders get split two times before winning the ball, they must win the ball three times before switching with the attackers.
- Limit the number of touches per outside player
- Play the same game, but expand the grid 3-5 yards on all sides and have the players play inside the grid instead of outside the grid.
- Make sure the attacking players are moving for their partners and opening up in space.
- Make sure balls are passed with good pace and on target
- Encourage players to communicate verbally and with their body and hands.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.