4v4, To Lines or Small Goals
4v4 soccer drill, 4 v 4 to small goals
Published 10/10/2005 10:43:58 PM
Author: Chris Johnson
In Soccer, 4v4 is the smallest version of a full-sided game. While on the attack, to be successful in a four vs. four matches, players must penetrate via the pass, dribble, or shot; players must provide support to the player with the ball, and players need to create width to the field. On the defensive side of the field, players must provide pressure to the ball, delay the attack, cover for the player pressuring the ball, and balancing the field of play. This 4v4 practice focuses on all aspects of the match including attacking, defending, passing, receiving, support, penetration, and spreading the field.
To set up this 4v4 soccer drill:
- Create a grid that is approximately 40 X 25 yards.
- Create a small goal (about 8 feet wide), or allow the players to attack the end line.
- Since the field is longer than it is wide, the dimensions of the playing field create an emphasis on passing in the game.
- There is a premium on playing the ball forward early.
Each team has either a line to defend OR two small goals to defend. Scoring is achieved by:
- Stopping the ball anywhere along the line.
- Stopping the ball in either small goal.
Drill Coaching Points:
- Vision - players should be able to look up and read the game with their eyes since the number of players are limited. Player's heads should be on a constant pivot.
- Communication - make sure players are communicating both verbally and non-verbally.
- Support - make sure players are using the entire playing area (width and length) to get into good supporting angles. Create passing options that allows the receiving players the most time and space.
- Appropriate use of 1st touch
- Appropriate use of short or long passing
- Changes in the direction and speed of play
- Create goal scoring opportunities
- Good Defensive Principles - pressure, cover, balance
- Get as many people behind the ball as possible
- Good communication
- Depending on the age and skill level of the players, you can adjust the field size to maximize the effectiveness of the workout.
Titled: 4v4, To Lines or Small Goals
Tagged: 4v4 soccer drill, 4 v 4 to small goals