Trapping with Passive Opposition
This soccer trapping drill focus on trapping and control with the addition of a passive defender. The defender causes the receiving player to be more aware of their surroundings.
Soccer Trapping Drill
This soccer trapping drill focus on trapping and control with the addition of a passive defender. The defender causes the receiving player tobe more aware of their surroundings.
- Set up players into groups of three.
- Assign one player as a server, one player as a receiver working on control and trapping, and one player as a passive defender.
- The server starts 10 yards from the receiver and defender.
- The server plays a ball into the receiving player.
- The passive defender stands close enough to touch the receiving player and tries to distract the receiving player.
- The passive defender should not attempt to win the ball at this point.
- The server should play to the chest, thigh, or feed as specified by the coach. Serves to the chest and thigh should be thrown underhanded, and trapping with the feet should be served by the feet.
- After the ball is trapped and under control, the receiving player should playback to the server and repeat.
- Allow the defender to apply minimal pressure.
- Increase defensive pressure
Drill Coaching Points
- 4 - U4, Under 4, 4 and Under
- 5 - U5, Under 5, 5 and Under
- 6 - U6, Under 6, 6 and Under
- 7 - U7, Under 7, 7 and Under
- 8 - U8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- 9 - U9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- 10 - U10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- 11 - U11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- 12 - U12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- 13 - U13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- 14 - U14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- 15 - U15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- 16 - U16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- 17 + - U17, U18, U19, U20, and Older
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.