1v1 Battle - Attacking and Reaction Drill
This 1v1 soccer battle drill will focus on the attacker's change of direction, change of pace, and burst of speed to the goal all while working on the defender's ability to close down the attacker quickly, reaction time, speed of recovery, and angles of defense.
1v1 Soccer Battle; Attacking and Reaction Drill
This 1v1 soccer battle drill will focus on the attacking and defending aspects of the game.
- Create a grid 40 yards wide and 30 yards long. (wider than longer)
- Place a small goal or Pugg Goal on each end line.
- Split the team into two groups.
- Place one group on the sideline without the ball; they will be the attacker.
- Place the other group on the opposite sideline with a ball; they will be the defender.
- The first defender steps out with a ball.
- They pass the ball to the first attacker in the line and quickly moves to close down the attack.
- The attacker can attack either of the two small goals.
- The defender, not knowing which goal he will attack must react quickly to the attacker's movements to close down the attack.
- The attacker can fake and feint and go in either direction at any time during this drill.
- Once the goal is scored or the ball goes out of bounds, the play is over and the next two players begin.
- The drill repeats with the next defender and attacker.
- Have the player's switch lines so they have the opportunity to attack and defend.
- Encourage the attacker to use feints, fakes, change of direction, and speed to confuse off-balance the defender.
- Encourage the defender to watch the attacker's hips rather than the ball, close the attacker down quickly, and react quickly.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Pugg Goal - Pugg Goal or Mini Soccer Goal