1v1, One-vs-One, One-on-One Soccer
1v1, one-vs-one, one-on-one, soccer drills, skills, and practices
One versus one, also known as 1v1, 1vs1, or one-on-one, is the smallest game-like activity in soccer. Playing small-sided games such as 1v1 allows both attackers and defenders to work on individual skills, techniques, and tactics.
One-vs-One Attacking Soccer
One-vs-one soccer allows attacking players to be creative, possess the ball, have quality touches, find open space, take on defenders, and attack the area behind the defender. 1v1 also teaches attackers to be comfortable holding possession of the ball by focusing on shielding and protecting the ball with your body.
One-vs-One Defensive Soccer
On the defensive side of one vs. one, players must learn to control the direction of the dribble, deny space, and force defenders to the outsides, away from one's goal. Pressure on the ball is the first rule of defense, and one vs. one will teach how to angle runs, slow the attacker, control the attacker's direction, and win the ball.
Practice 1v1 Soccer
Every player, regardless of their age or skill level, should strive to be experts in the 1v1 game. Being able to attack a defensive player with speed while find space behind the defender, change directions, and exploding past the defender is critical in developing an attacking soccer team.
Here are a few 1v1 soccer drills you can use to improve your team's one-on-one attacking and defending skills:
- Great Attacking Skills - This attacking soccer drill focuses on a number’s up situation and opening up and finding the attacker in a 1v1 situation.
- 2v1 and 1v1 Possession Game - This soccer possession drill focuses on passing, movement off the ball, possession and penetration.
- The Numbers Game - This 1v1 soccer drill focuses on 1v1 situations for younger players and works dribbling, shooting, shielding, turning and beating an opponent.
- 2v2 or 1v1 - Get Outta Here - This drill is a very fast paced1v1 or 2v2 game that focuses on aspects of the small sided game such as dribbling, passing, and scoring.
- 1v1 Competition - This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
- Diagonal 1v1 Soccer Drill - This 1v1 soccer drill is great to focus on 1v1 play whether it's on the offensive or the defensive side.
- 1v1 to Multiple Goals (Dribbling) - This soccer drill is a great drill for focusing on teaching players attacking and defending skills.
- 1v1v1 Triangle Game - The 1v1v1 Triangle Game soccer drill focuses on the attacking in number down situations and will encourage players to dribble to take players on.
- 1 on 1 (1v1) Soccer Progression - This 1 on 1 progression will focus on required dribbling skills, body feints, and the required burst of speed to beat a defender.
- 1v1 to Goal - The 1v1 Soccer Drill to Goal is a great soccer drill to improve your goal scoring opportunities.
- 1v1, 1v2, 2v2 - 4 goal game - This 1v1, 1v2, 2v2 - 4 goal game soccer drill puts soccer players in 1v1 and 2v2 situations with multiple goals.
- 1v1 1st Attacker Dribbling Without Opposition - This 1v1 dribbling exercise allows coaches to focus on the 1st attacker's ability to beat the defender on the dribble.
- 1v1 50/50 to Goal Team Competition - This soccer drill focuses on soccer fitness, scoring soccer goals, soccer shooting, soccer goalkeeping, and winning 50-50 balls. This is a fun soccer drill for the younger soccer player.
- 1v1 Defending the Dribble - The purpose of this drill is to isolate the defender to focus on the first defender and defending the dribble. This drills focus can be modified to focus on the first attacker taking on the defender.
- 1v1 Defending the Dribble with Teammate - The purpose of this drill is to isolate the defender to focus on the first defender and defending the dribble while working with a teammate. This teaches young soccer players to work together with your teammate to shut down the attacker.
- 1v1 Dribble Attack with Shot - This 1v1 soccer drill focuses on dribbling to beat a defender and finishing with a shot and can also be used to focus on defensive players.
- Shooting Combo, 1v1 Shooting Drill - This shooting drill focuses on making a move, 1-2 combination, then taking on a defender 1v1 before shooting.
- 1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill - Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.