- Set cones in the shape of a diamond about 20 yards from goal. Each cone about 12 yards apart. Adjust the size based on the age and skill level of your players.
- Instruct one player to start at cone 2, 3, and 4. The remaining players form a line behind cone 1.
- Instruct one player to start in the goal (not necessarily the goalkeeper as this will change).
- A supply of balls should be placed near cone 1.
- Player 1 starts with the ball and passes to player 2. Player 1 follows the pass and moves to player 2's place.
- Player 2 passes to player 3 and moves into quickly moves into defensive position.
- Player 3 passes to player 4 and takes 4's place.
- Player 4 receives the ball and immediately takes on player 2 in 1v1 battle to goal.
- If player 4 doesn't score in the 1 vs 1, player 4 becomes the keeper. If player 4 scores, keeper remains.
If players are struggling with the one vs. one play and not many shots are being taken, reduce the role of the defensive player to 50%. If players still struggle to score or get shots off, remove the defensive player.
Drill Coaching Points
- Good passing combination
- Quick Movement off the ball
- Good defensive posture and positioning
- Shooter beats the defender with speed and gets a shot on target.
- Disc Cones
- Soccer Balls
- Full Size Goal
- 9 Years Old and Under
- 10 Years Old and Under
- 12 Years Old and Under
- 13 Years Old and Under
- 14 Years Old and Under
- 15 Years Old and Under
- 16 Years Old and Under
- 17 +
Soccer Drill Focus
- Dribbling - Soccer Dribbling Drills
- Passing - Soccer Passing Drills
- Defending - Soccer Defending Drills
- Attacking - Soccer Attacking Drills
- Shooting - Soccer Shooting Drills
- Goalkeeping - Soccer Goalkeeping Drills
- Warm-up - Soccer Warm-up Drills
- FUN - FUN SOCCER DRILLS
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3 and 4 year olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
This 4v4 game is the smallest version of a full sided soccer game. The 4 vs 4 game will focus on all aspects of the match.
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.