3v1 Early Support
This 3v1 soccer drill focuses on supporting the player with the ball, early support, moving without the ball, proper supporting angle, and good distance of support.
soccer, early, support, supporting players
3v1 soccer drill focusing on supporting the player with the ball, early support, moving without the ball, proper supporting angle, and good distance of support.
- Create two 12X12 grids with a common side.
- Split into two groups of three players (3 red and 3 yellow).
- Place the three red players and one yellow player in one grid.
- The remaining two yellow players are in the other grid.
- The single yellow player in the red grid starts as the defender.
- The three red players need a ball.
- Play a 3v1 in the first grid with three reds offensive players and one yellow defensive player.
- The offensive players focus on early support, good angles, proper supporting distance, and giving the player with the ball two passing options.
- The yellow defender's objective is to gain possession of the ball.
- If the yellow defender gains possession of the ball, they pass to a yellow teammate in the other grid.
- The yellow defender then joins his team in the grid to maintain possession.
- One player from the red team enters the new grid as a defender.
- The red defending player now tries to win possession and return the ball into the other grid with their teammates.
- The defenders rotate defenders with a new defender each time.
- Limit the players number of touches
- Early support - start supporting before the ball is received.
- Good angle - support in undefended space where the pass cannot be intercepted by the defender.
- Players must move, even without the ball.
- Supporting players should create a triangle to support both sides of the attacker with the ball.
- Focus on a good first touch in space towards a supporting player.
- Use deception when playing.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.