This 4v2 game will focus on building an attack near the penalty area and getting shots on goal. Forwards will have to make a decision to turn and score or lay the ball off to the mid-fielder. The focus of this drill is score, score, score!
4v2 soccer, 4 vs 2 soccer game
This 4v2 game will focus on building an attack near the penalty area and getting shots on goal.
- Create a grid the width of the playing field and about 25 yards from the primary goal on the pitch. The grid should be approximately 50x25 yards.
- Place a portable goal 25 yards from the primary goal.
- Split the team into two groups and place a goalkeeper in each goal.
- Each team should position themselves on either side of the goalposts, one side with a supply of soccer balls.
- Two target players from the attacking team will start the drill at the goal they are attacking, while the other players start at the goal they are defending.
- The target players will check-in and ask for the ball from their teammates located near the defensive area.
- The opposing team also sends 2 defenders to close down the target players checking in.
- The starting attacker plays into the feet of the target play and plays 4v2 to the goal.
- The target player decides whether or not to turn and shoot or lay a ball back to the midfielders.
- If a defender wins the ball they attack 2vs4 on the other goal.
- Alternate and let the other team play 4v2 going to their goal.
- Have the forwards play as target players.
- Add a third defender to give more realistic pressure.
- Attackers playing high checking in should read their pressure to decide whether or not to turn and go to goal, or lay the ball back to the midfield player and reset.
- Remind attackers that you miss 100% of all shots not taken.
- Focus on movement and positioning after laying the ball back to the midfielders.
- If the midfielders have an opportunity to shoot first-touch they should take the shot.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Balls - Soccer Practice or Training Balls
- Full Size Goal - Full Size Goal