4v4, Thirds of the Field, Shape and Positioning
This 4v4 drill is great for improving shape and positioning. Each player has their own responsibility: 1) attacker/target player stretches the field closer to the goal they are attacking. 2) winger players stretch the width of the field. 3) defensive player gives support to wingers and target player while staying the last man.
4v4, thirds of the field, improve shape and positioning
This 4v4 thirds of the field drill is great for improving shape and positioning.
- To set up this 4v4 soccer drill, create a grid that is approximately 40 X 25 yards.
- With small disc cones, divide the field into thirds; left, center, right
- Set a Pugg goal at each endline.
- Divide the group into two teams of four players each.
- Restrict the left wingers in the left third of the field, the right wingers in the right third of the field, and the target player and defender to the center third of the field.
- Play 4v4 with each team defending a Pugg goal and scoring on the opponents Pugg goal.
- Players are restricted to their third of the field and are encouraged to move up and down their third in order to support their teammates.
- When a team reaches 5 goals switch out players or teams.
- Allow players to switch into other thirds of the pitch, but when this happens, they must switch with the player occupying the grid they are moving into.
- Vision - players should be able to look up and read the game with their eyes since their number is limited. Player's heads should be on a constant pivot.
- Communication - make sure players are communicating both verbally and non-verbally.
- Support - make sure players are using their third of the field to get into the right supporting angles. Create passing options that allow the receiving players the most time and space.
- Appropriate use of 1st touch
- Appropriate use of short or long passing
- Changes in the direction and speed of play
- Create goal scoring opportunities
- Sound Defensive Principles - pressure, cover, balance
- Get as many people behind the ball as possible
- Good communication
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Pugg Goal - Pugg Goal or Mini Soccer Goal