Combination Shooting & Finishing DrillThis is a dynamic shooting and finishing soccer drill that will focus on the timing of the combination play, touching the ball with your back to the defender, and having a quick tight turn and finish with a shot on goal.
Combination, Shooting, Finishing, Soccer, Drill
This shooting and finishing soccer drill focuses on the timing combination play, playing with your back to goal, and quick turn and shot on goal.
- Using half of the soccer field, place a keeper in the goal.
- About 18 yards from goal, set two cones about 5 yards apart that are placed perpendicular to the goal. The first shooter starts between these two cones.
- Place a cone equal to each side of the penalty box about 10 yards from the top of the box. Place a player on each of these cones.
- Place another cone in the middle of the field about 10 yards from the side cones.
- The shape of the cones should be in a diamond with the cone closest to the goal having a small window.
- his window will be used as a passing reference for the player to receive the ball as they check into this space.
- The remaining players should be positioned at the cone farthest from goal with a ball each.
- Player 1 passes the ball to player 2 and follows his pass.
- Player 2 then passes to player 3 between the cones as player 3 is checking through the cones.
- Player 2 follows his pass and checks into the cones in the middle.
- Player 3 should have a touch with their back to the goal towards their far side and finish with a right footed shot on goal.
- As Player 2 is making the pass to player 3, the new player 1 makes a pass to player 4 and follows his pass.
- Player 4 passes to the new player 3 who is checking-in between the cones.
- Player 3 has a tight touch and turn with their back to the goal towards the back side and finishes with a left footed shot.
- Player 1 will then pass to player 2 and the same pattern is followed.
- Play all touches in 1-touch.
- Move the cones farther apart and work on flighted balls into each player.
- Have a passive defensive player apply pressure on the back of the shooter to simulate a defender putting pressure on the attacker. Make sure the shooter does not expose the ball to the defender.
- Focus on crisp passes and well timed movement.
- The shooter should have a clean, quick turn while keeping his back to goal until he comes out of his turn for the shot.
- Play with speed.
- Finish on goal.