Combination Shooting & Finishing DrillThis is a dynamic shooting and finishing soccer drill that will focus on the timing of the combination play, touching the ball with your back to the defender, and having a quick tight turn and finish with a shot on goal.
Combination, Shooting, Finishing, Soccer, Drill
This shooting and finishing soccer drill focuses on the timing combination play, playing with your back to goal, and quick turn and shot on goal.
- Using half of the soccer field, place a keeper in the goal.
- About 18 yards from goal, set two cones about 5 yards apart that are placed perpendicular to the goal. The first shooter starts between these two cones.
- Place a cone equal to each side of the penalty box about 10 yards from the top of the box. Place a player on each of these cones.
- Place another cone in the middle of the field about 10 yards from the side cones.
- The shape of the cones should be in a diamond with the cone closest to the goal having a small window.
- his window will be used as a passing reference for the player to receive the ball as they check into this space.
- The remaining players should be positioned at the cone farthest from goal with a ball each.
- Player 1 passes the ball to player 2 and follows his pass.
- Player 2 then passes to player 3 between the cones as player 3 is checking through the cones.
- Player 2 follows his pass and checks into the cones in the middle.
- Player 3 should have a touch with their back to the goal towards their far side and finish with a right footed shot on goal.
- As Player 2 is making the pass to player 3, the new player 1 makes a pass to player 4 and follows his pass.
- Player 4 passes to the new player 3 who is checking-in between the cones.
- Player 3 has a tight touch and turn with their back to the goal towards the back side and finishes with a left footed shot.
- Player 1 will then pass to player 2 and the same pattern is followed.
- Play all touches in 1-touch.
- Move the cones farther apart and work on flighted balls into each player.
- Have a passive defensive player apply pressure on the back of the shooter to simulate a defender putting pressure on the attacker. Make sure the shooter does not expose the ball to the defender.
Drill Coaching Points
- Focus on crisp passes and well timed movement.
- The shooter should have a clean, quick turn while keeping his back to goal until he comes out of his turn for the shot.
- Play with speed.
- Finish on goal.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.