Cross - Finish Under Pressure
This crossing and finishing drill is excellent for focusing on crossing and finishing under pressure. It is also a great drill to improve the player's fitness level.
Cross and Finish, Crossing Under Pressure, Finishing Under Pressure
Crossing and finishing drill focusing on crossing and finishing under pressure. It is also a great drill to improve the player's fitness level.
- This drill will require the attacking third of the field with a full-size goal and a goalkeeper.
- Split the team up evenly among each of the four cones positioned near midfield, as seen in the diagram.
- There should be a large supply of balls at the cone of player 1.
- Player 1 plays a firm ball into the corner of the field for player 3 to run onto.
- As player 3 leaves his cone, player 4 also leaves his cone to pressure player 3. Player 4 is looking to deny the cross.
- Player 2 also leaves to defend player 1 on the cross.
- Player 3 crosses the ball into player 1, who attempts to finish on goal.
- Rotate players so that they play both offense and defense on all of the spots.
Drill Coaching Points
- Play a firm ball to get the ball deep in the area near the end line.
- Crosser has a quick but quality prep touch and crosses from the outside.
- Runners must time their runs and anticipate the flight of the cross. You don't want the runners in too quickly and standing. If they get there too soon, have them rotate out and back into the service area.
- Sprint to close down the crosser quickly while getting to the inside position.
- Track runners and get inside position.
- Clear balls up and outside.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Full Size Goal - Full Size Goal
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.