Goalkeeper - Shooting Angle
This Goalkeeping Shooting Angle Drill is excellent for improving Goalkeeper positioning and angles when handling shots. This drill focuses on correct footwork, proper angles, and quickly setting the goalkeeper's feet for the shot.
goalkeeper, shooting angle, footwork, quickness
Goalkeeping shooting angle drill for improving goalkeeper positioning and angles when defending a shot on goal.
- Place a goalkeeper in a full-size goal.
- Position 6-8 servers across the outer edge of the penalty area in front of the goal.
- Each server should start with a ball.
- Alternate the servers one at a time.
- Each server will push the ball to the left, right, or straight at the goal, then shoot on goal.
- Instruct the goalkeeper to adjust their positioning according to the position of the ball. Their body should remain between the ball and the goal, with their hips facing the ball.
- The goalkeeper should then set their feet and get into their ready position and make the save.
- The goalkeeper should quickly set for the next shooter and repeat.
Drill Coaching Points
- Good, Quick footwork (do not cross feet when shuffling)
- Right angle and positioning on moving ball - instruct them to stay between the ball and the goal
- Make sure they set their feet to get ready for the shot
- They should react quickly to the shot
- Make sure they catch the ball cleanly with good hands
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.