Hot-Box Passing and Receiving Drill
The hot-box passing and receiving soccer drill focuses on small group and individual passing and receiving skills.
Soccer Passing and Receiving Drill
This passing and receiving soccer drill focuses on small group passing and receiving.
- Create a box approximately 3 yards by 3 yards.
- Set two codes about 5-7 yards on either side of the box.
- One player starts in the box, and the other two players start at the two cones on either side of the box.
- A player on the side of the box passes to the working player as they make a check run to the ball.
- The working player receives the pass, turns around the training stick back into the middle of the box.
- The working player then passes the ball between the training sticks to the player on the opposite side of the box.
- The working player makes a check run outside the box towards the player they made the pass.
- The side player returns the ball to the working player in the middle.
- The working player then receives the ball, turns around a different training stick, and returns to the box.
- They then pass to the other player, and the pattern repeats.
- Switch every 1 minute allowing players time to work at full pace and rest.
- To make the drill more difficult, tighten the grid and limit the number of touches to receive and turn
- To make the drill a bit easier, make the area larger
- Crispy first touch
- Good fluid movement after the first touch
- Crispy pass back to the stationary players
- Side players need to be moving and shouldn't be simply standing around
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Training Sticks - Training Sticks or Agility Poles
- 8 - U8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- 9 - U9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- 10 - U10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- 11 - U11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- 12 - U12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- 13 - U13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- 14 - U14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- 15 - U15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- 16 - U16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- 17 + - U17, U18, U19, U20, and Older