5v2 Rotating DefendersThis 5v2 drill will focus on keeping possession by making good passes as well as good passing decisions, moving to open space, and good communication.
5v2 Rotating Defenders
This 5v2 drill will focus on keeping possession by making good passes and good passing decisions, moving to open space, and good communication.
- Create a grid that is approximately 15X15 yards.
- Place 5 attackers inside the grid in an alternate jersey.
- The remaining players pair up as defenders behind one corner cone with the supply of balls.
- The first pair of defenders passes a ball into the 5 attackers.
- The defenders immediately step into the grid and become defenders creating a 5v2 inside the grid.
- The 5 attackers attempt to put together a set number of passes. If this is achieved the two defenders do pushups.
- The attackers continue passing until the defenders win the ball, or the ball is knocked out of play.
- Once the play is dead, the next pair of defenders plays into the same 5 attackers, and play resumes.
- Adjust grid (larger grid = easier for attackers but harder for defenders; smaller drid = harder for attackers but easier for defenders)
- Introduce splits (split defenders, defenders do 10 pushups every split)
- Adjust the number of attackers (4 attackers vs 2 defenders)
Drill Coaching Points
- Changes in the direction and speed of play
- Appropriate use of 1st touch
- Appropriate use of short or long passing
- Good passes to feet
- Good first touch towards space
- Good decision making (make play easy)
- Speed of play/decisions
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- 4 - U4, Under 4, 4 and Under
- 5 - U5, Under 5, 5 and Under
- 6 - U6, Under 6, 6 and Under
- 7 - U7, Under 7, 7 and Under
- 8 - U8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- 9 - U9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- 10 - U10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- 11 - U11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- 12 - U12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- 13 - U13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- 14 - U14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- 15 - U15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- 16 - U16, Under 16, 16 and Under
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.