This soccer drill is mainly focused on technical skills during warm up. This is a great drill to do at the beginning of each game.
Across-Field Warm-Up, soccer warm-up
This soccer drill focuses on technical skills during warm up. This drill is a great warm-up before a game.
- Divide the team into pairs with 1 ball for each pair.
- Player 1 stands along the touchline, while player 2 starts 3-5 yards away facing their partner.
- Players 2 will start with the ball.
- The player 2 holds the ball in their hands and jogs backward across the field while tossing the ball to their partner.
- The player 1 jogs forward and receives the ball and returns the ball to their partner.
- When the players reach the other touchline, the roles should be reversed and return to the other touchline.
- The players should work on one of the following skills each time across the field:
- Volley the ball back to the thrower with the inside of the foot - alternating right and left.
- Volley the ball back to the thrower with the instep (shoe laces) - alternating right and left.
- Trapping the ball with the thigh and returning it to the thrower.
- Trapping with the chest and returning it to the thrower.
- Heading back to the thrower – should make the receiver do jumping headers as well.
- Reverse the direction of the thrower and the receiver where the thrower jogs forward and the receiver jogs backwards.
Drill Coaching Points
- Good body positioning behind the ball.
- Controlled touches before playing the ball back.
- Getting a good warm-up.
- 8 - U8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- 9 - U9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- 10 - U10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- 11 - U11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- 12 - U12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- 13 - U13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- 14 - U14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- 15 - U15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- 16 - U16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- 17 + - U17, U18, U19, U20, and Older
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.