Great Attacking SkillsThis drill focuses on attacking in a number’s up situation and opening up and finding the attacker in a 1v1 situation. This drill puts much emphasis on good passing, receiving and general possession.
Great Soccer Attacking Skills
This attacking soccer drill focuses on a number’s up situation and opening up and finding the attacker in a 1v1 situation.
- Create two 10 x 10 adjacent grids.
- Start with 3 attackers and 2 defenders in an alternate jersey.
- Have 2 attackers and 1 defender in one grid.
- Place 1 attacker and 1 defender in the other grid.
- The attackers in the 2v1 grid control the ball against the single defender.
- The attacker in the 1v1 grid continues to make runs to get free from the defender.
- The attacker in the 2v1 grid that passes the ball to the 1v1 attacker follows the pass into the grid and creates a new 2v1 in that grid.
- The play repeats.
- If the defenders win the ball, they should attempt to hold possession from the attackers.
- Enlarge the grids and increase the number of players.
- 3v2 and 2v2
- 4v3 and 3v3
Drill Coaching Points
- Focus on proper passing, receiving and possession.
- Make sure attackers are creating space to exploit when the time is right.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.