2v1 and 1v1 Possession GameThis soccer drill focuses on both possession and penetration. It helps to teach communication and switching the point of attack to keep possession and penetrate the defense.
Soccer Possession, Passing, and Communication Drill
This soccer possession drill focuses on passing, movement off the ball, possession and penetration.
- Create a 10 x 20 grid with a line of cones that divides the grid in half.
- Place two yellow players and one red player in one grid.
- The other grid needs one yellow and one red player.
- Two yellow players keep possession from the red player as he tries to win the ball.
- After 5 passes (this number can be anything from 3-5 depending on the level of play) the two yellow players try to find their teammate in the other grid, who is making runs to get open.
- The red player attempts to prevent this pass from being played successfully.
- If the yellow players successfully pass into the yellow player, one of the yellow teammates may join them in that grid creating a2 v 1 in that grid until completing the number of passes.
- At this point, they try to play the ball back into the original starting section.
- Do this for two minutes and then rotate the players, so everyone gets to play offense and defense.
- To get more success, you can start with a 3 v 1 in one section and 1 v 1 in the other or even 3 v 1 and 2 v 1.
- Get a look up to the person in the other section every time.
- Try to receive the ball with the body opened up to the field whenever possible.
- Play the ball to the correct foot in order for the player to receive the ball opened up.
- Communicate every time to make sure someone goes over into the other section upon successful penetration.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.