Target PlayersThis attacking drill focuses on playing the target players from the attacking third of the field.
Attacking Soccer Drill to Find Target Players
This attacking drill focuses on playing the target players from the attacking third of the field.
- Create a 25x25 grid and split in half with cones.
- 8 players are required.
- 5 attacking players (blue) and 3 defensive players (yellow).
- The blue attackers play 4v2 against the yellow defenders and attempt to find the target in the attacking half.
- Place a two-touch limit on the attackers.
- As soon as the four attackers are able to play the 1 target player, three players move over to the new area, and one defender moves over to help get the ball back. This now creates a 4v2 situation in the new grid.
- If the defender playing 1v1 wins the ball as the ball played to the target player, 2 defenders from the other half come help play 3v1.
- The two-touch limit does not apply to the defenders as they try and keep the ball away from the target.
- When the target player wins the ball back, he must play over to the waiting 3 players in the other half.
- The attacking team looks to get 10 changes before the players rotate into different roles.
- If the defender wins the ball and connects 10 passes, then the entire attacking team does push-ups or sit-ups or sprints; whatever the coach decides.
- Movement to keep possession
- Good passing angles
- Movement to support players
- Finding the target player
- High Pressure Immediately to win back a lost ball
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.