This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side. On the offensive side you can get attackers to attack the defenders with speed, quick change of pace with an explosive touch to get away, getting behind the defensive players and shooting at half chances. On the defensive side, you can focus on closing down quickly, forcing the attacker to the side and closing down the attack.
1v1 Attacking and Defending Soccer Drill
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
- Place a cone about 25 years from the goal.
- Split the team into 2 teams with each group wearing alternate jerseys.
- Place a keeper in the goal.
- The defending team starts by the goal with a large supply of balls.
- The other team attacks by starting at the cone 25 yards from goal.
- Each team plays for 5 minutes.
- The 1st defender plays a ball into the 1st attacker and steps out to defend.
- The attacker attempts to beat the defender.
- Award a point to the attacking team for each goal scored.
- After scoring a goal, or the defensive player wins the ball, the next defender plays a ball into the next attacker and play continues.
- Each team attacks for 5 minutes and defends for 5 minutes.
- The team with the highest goal count wins.
- Play 2 games awarding a winner after each match.
- If each team wins a match, play another round to break the tie.
- Play 2v2
- make players "beat" the defender before shooting (no 25 yrd bombs)
- Attack defender with speed
- Quick explosion to get away
- Try to get behind the defender
- Shoot at any half-chance.
- Close down quickly
- Force the attacker to the weak side
- Break it down
- Close the attacker down.
- Remember Fast, Slow, Outside, Low. Fast - approach the attacker with speed. Slow - when the defender gets close to the attacker, the defender must slow their run and start stepping back with the attacker. Outside - force the attacker to the outside. Low - low center of gravity and get player low.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Full Size Goal - Full Size Goal
- 4 - U4, Under 4, 4 and Under
- 5 - U5, Under 5, 5 and Under
- 6 - U6, Under 6, 6 and Under
- 7 - U7, Under 7, 7 and Under
- 8 - U8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- 9 - U9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- 10 - U10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- 11 - U11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- 12 - U12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- 13 - U13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- 14 - U14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- 15 - U15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- 16 - U16, Under 16, 16 and Under