Pressure/Cover Tactical Defending Soccer Game
The focus of this soccer game is to teach players recognize the first defender (closest defender to the ball) and second defenders (player covering/supporting the first defender). The drill is geared towards teaching the players how to pressure the player with the ball and proper cover positioning.
Tactical Defending Soccer Game, Pressure Cover Balance
The focus of this soccer game is to teach players recognize the first defender and second defenders.
- Set up a large grid approximately 60 X 40 yards with a goal on each end lines with a keeper.
- Split the teams into 2 even teams
- Instruct the players to shout "ONE" if they are the defender closest to the player with the ball.
- The 2nd defender who is covering the space behind the first defender shouts "TWO" indicating they are the 2nd defender in cover position.
- If a player fails to shout the appropriate number, the opposing team receives a free-kick.
Drill Coaching Points
- Help the players recognize when they are the 1st or 2nd defenders.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Full Size Goal - Full Size Goal
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.