Pressure/Cover Tactical Defending Soccer Game
The focus of this soccer game is to teach players recognize the first defender (closest defender to the ball) and second defenders (player covering/supporting the first defender). The drill is geared towards teaching the players how to pressure the player with the ball and proper cover positioning.
Tactical Defending Soccer Game, Pressure Cover Balance
The focus of this soccer game is to teach players recognize the first defender and second defenders.
- Set up a large grid approximately 60 X 40 yards with a goal on each end lines with a keeper.
- Split the teams into 2 even teams
- Instruct the players to shout "ONE" if they are the defender closest to the player with the ball.
- The 2nd defender who is covering the space behind the first defender shouts "TWO" indicating they are the 2nd defender in cover position.
- If a player fails to shout the appropriate number, the opposing team receives a free-kick.
- Help the players recognize when they are the 1st or 2nd defenders.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Full Size Goal - Full Size Goal