Passing and Receiving Warm-up
This soccer warm-up drill focuses on passing and receiving and can be used for players 9 years and older. It's a good drill that can be tweaked to focus on any types of passing or receiving skills.
Soccer Passing and Receiving, First-Touch
This soccer warm-up drill focuses on passing and receiving and can be used for players 9 years and older.
- Build a grid approximately 20X20 yards.
- Split up the team in two even teams with one team on the outside of the square and the other teammates inside the square.
- Every player on the outside of the grid should have a ball.
- The players inside the square will be working.
- The players inside the grid will move inside the square and check to any of the players along the outside of the grid and call their name.
- The player on the outside plays a ball into the player who quickly returns the ball back to that player in one touch.
- Have the players work for 1 minute and switch inside and outside groups.
- Players must have a touch with the inside of the foot before returning the ball to the outside player. Can also have the player make a touch with the outside of the foot before playing the ball back.
- Have the outside players pick the ball up in their hands and play balls into the inside players. The inside players can go through the following skills: Inside foot volley, top of the foot volley, thigh volley, chest volley, headers, etc.
- Have the players work 30 seconds at a comfortable speed, and 30 seconds at full speed
- Focus on good solid passes and a good controlled first touch.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.