Instep Shooting Drill
This soccer shooting drill focuses on the instep drive. This shooting technique is an essential method of striking a ball when shooting. The instep drive hits the shot with the foot's shoelace with the toe pointed down and the ankle locked.
soccer instep drive shooting drill
This soccer shooting drill focuses on the instep drive. This shooting technique is an essential method of striking a ball when shooting.
- Create a grid that is 25x25 yards.
- Place 6 to 10 tall cones in the middle of the grid.
- Divide the team into groups of 2.
- Partners stand on opposite sides of the grid, facing each other.
- Each group of 2 needs a ball.
- Players drive the ball with their instep to their partner's side of the grid.
- Players are awarded a point by knocking over a cone.
- Any of the players on the side can return the ball by driving it with the foot's instep while attempting to knock over a cone.
- The first player to reach 5 points win the match.
- This drill can be used for younger players to work on inside of the foot passing.
Drill Coaching Points
- Focus on striking the ball with the shoelaces, toe pointed down, ankle locked.
- The non-kicking foot should be next to the ball and slightly behind it, and pointed towards the target.
- Players should try to land on their kicking foot to use the full transfer of body weight.
- Focus on the technique mentioned above.
- Focus on accuracy.
- 9" Tall Soccer Cones - Add 9" Tall Soccer Cones to your equipment bag as they make excellent agility and fitness cones, field border markers, or utilized in soccer training.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.