This dynamic game will allow you to focus on the transition from offense to defense. This soccer transitional drill is designed to be played at a quick pace.
Soccer Transitional Drill; Offence to Defense Drill
This dynamic soccer game will allow you to focus on the transition from offense to defense. Soccer Transitional Drill.
- Create a grid that is 15X20 yards.
- Set 2 small goals on either end (approximately 1 yard).
- Split the team into 2 teams (Red and Yellow).
- Each team should start at diagonal corners of the grid.
- Players defend the goal on the inline closest to them.
- Each player in line should have a ball.
- The coach will begin the transition drill by playing a ball into the field of play.
- One player from each team plays a 1v1 game to their assigned goal.
- The play is continuous until the ball goes over the end line or a goal is scored.
- The defending player is out, and the first player in the defending team's line immediately attack the goal against the same offensive player.
- The offensive player them must quickly transition into a defensive player and defend their goal.
- The play continues until one team scores five goals.
- Play 2v2 or 3v3.
Drill Coaching Points
- Help players identify transition situations and take advantage of those situations whether they are defending or attacking.
- The quicker the player can recognize the situations, the easier it is for them to exploit their options.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Training Sticks - Training Sticks or Agility Poles
- Pugg Goal - Pugg Goal or Mini Soccer Goal
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.