1v1v1 Triangle Game
The 1v1v1 Triangle Game soccer drill focuses on attacking in a number-down situation. This game will encourage players to dribble, take players on, shield the ball from the defensive players, and the vision to find the open goal. Defensively this drill promotes players to stay aware of their defensive shape and tackling players on the dribble.
1v1v1 Triangle Game Soccer Drill
The 1v1v1 Triangle Game soccer drill focuses on the attacking in number down situations and will encourage players to dribble to take players on.
- In a triangular shape, set three 2yrd goals approximately 15-20 yards apart.
- Assign each of the players a goal to defend.
- These players can attack and score on any of the other two goals.
- Create multiple games around the practice area.
- Players will play one vs. one vs. one (1v1v1) to their attacking goals.
- Players must defend their goal.
- Goals must be scored by “Dribbling” through the goal and will not count if passed through the gate. This will encourage the players to take on the defenders quickly to get in behind them to score the goal.
- The first person to 5 goals wins the match.
- Rotate players to a different grid.
- To add complexity to the game, remove the disc cone gates and give each player one 9" tall cones to attack/defend. This cone will serve as the goal. Now Instruct players to knock over the cone to score the goal. This will encourage players to pass the ball into the cone and focus on passing accuracy.
- On the attacking player, encourage the players to dribble at players with speed with the intent to get to the space behind the defenders.
- Make sure players are looking up trying to find the most venerable goal.
- Defensively encourage players to stay aware of their positioning and recover quickly when transitioning from offense to defense.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.