The Soccer Gauntlet
The primary focus of THE SOCCER GAUNTLET is centered around proper dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Soccer Gauntlet Soccer Dribbling Drill
The primary focus of THE SOCCER GAUNTLET is centered around good dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
- Create a grid approximately 20x15 yard.
- Instruct one defender to stand inside the grid without a ball.
- The remaining players will start on the end line with a ball.
- On the coaches command, all of the attacking players dribble at speed to the other sideline avoiding the defender.
- If the defender wins the ball and kicks the ball out of the grid, that attacker becomes an additional defender (without a ball) on the next series.
- The last player to make it through the gauntlet wins the game.
- Limit the foot the attacker can dribble with (the right foot, the left foot, and the bottom of the foot).
Drill Coaching Points
- Keep the ball close to the dribbler
- Stay in control of your body and ball
- Keep your eyes up to avoid pressure
- Dribble into space avoiding pressure
- Dribble with speed when in open space
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.