1 on 1 (1v1) Soccer Progression
This one-on-one (1v1)progression will focus on required dribbling skills, body feints, and the required burst of speed to beat a defender.
1-on-1 1v1 Soccer Drills
This 1 on 1 progression will focus on required dribbling skills, body feints, and the required burst of speed to beat a defender.
- Create a 15X25 yard grid.
- The end-lines will serve as goals to begin.
- Have the attacker start at their end-line with the defender directly in front of the ball and attacker.
- Instruct the defender to not move until after the attacker has touched the ball.
- The attacker should use body feints to off-balance the defender, then push the ball past the standing defender with a burst of speed.
- The defender should attempt not to let the attacker reach the other end-line.
- Award a point each time the attacker reaches the end-line.
- After each attempt to beat the defender the attacker and defender should change roles, so each player gets a chance to even the score.
- In the same 15X25 grid, remove the defender's restrictions and continue to play 1v1 to the end-line.
- Add a small Pugg goal at each end-line and have the players play to the small target. If you don't have a Pugg goal, create a goal with cones, flags or training sticks.
Drill Coaching Points
- Use body feints to off-balance the defender.
- A quick burst of speed to quickly beat the defender.
- Attempt to exploit the space behind the defender.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Pugg Goal - Pugg Goal or Mini Soccer Goal
- 4 - U4, Under 4, 4 and Under
- 5 - U5, Under 5, 5 and Under
- 6 - U6, Under 6, 6 and Under
- 7 - U7, Under 7, 7 and Under
- 8 - U8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- 9 - U9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- 10 - U10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- 11 - U11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- 12 - U12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- 13 - U13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- 14 - U14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- 15 - U15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- 16 - U16, Under 16, 16 and Under
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.