Dribbling at the Cone
The Dribbling at the Cone youth soccer dribbling drill is a good soccer dribbling drill for young soccer players to learn to dribble without opposition. It is a fabulous drill to introduce different fakes and faints to gain an edge on the defender.
Dribbling at the Cone Youth Soccer Dribbling Drill
The Dribbling at the Cone youth soccer dribbling drill is a good soccer drill for young soccer players to learn to dribble without opposition.
- Create a grid that is 20X10 yards.
- Place a 9" cone in the middle of the grid.
- Two players align themselves on one sideline with a ball.
- The other player should align themselves on the other sidelines with the cone in the middle.
- This grid will be for three players, so add more 9" cones in the area as needed depending on the number of players.
- The first person in the group of 2 will start with the ball.
- This player will dribble at the cone, change the direction of the ball as he makes a move (fake) around the cone.
- After moving past the cone, the player should increase his speed to finish at the other side of the grid.
- He then lays the ball off to the other player who performs the same fake on the cone.
- Play continues until the coach introduces a new faint.
- Here are some moves to perform are:
- the scissors
- the swerve
- hard step, drop shoulder and change direction
- Replace the cone with a defender.
Drill Coaching Points
- Make sure the players move towards the cone with the ball under total control.
- Make sure the is a good change of direction at the cone.
- Make sure the player sells the move to the cone.
- After passing the cone, make sure the player has a burst of speed.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.