Dribbling to Beat a Defender
The Dribbling to Beat a Defender soccer dribbling drill is wonderful when teaching young players when and where to dribble, and how to beat the defenders on the dribble. This dribbling drill is best for U8-U12 Soccer Players. The emphasis is on allowing the dribbling player to unbalance the defender while approaching unchallenged.
Soccer Dribbling Drill to Beat a Defender
This dribbling drill is great when teaching young players when and where to dribble, and how to beat the defenders on the dribble.
- Create a grid 20X10 yards.
- Mark the halfway with a line of cones about 5 yards apart.
- Split into groups of three players.
- A group of three players needs two balls.
- Position the defender in the middle line in the grid.
- The defender in the middle is restricted to only move side to side on the middle line in an attempt to stop the dribbling attacker.
- Instruct the attacker to approach the defender under control, make his move after making the defender commit, and accelerate to the other side of the grid.
- If the defender wins the ball, he switches role with the player that lost the ball.
Drill Coaching Points
- Focus on a controlled approach by the attacker.
- Sell the fake/faint to the defender.
- Make sure the dribbling players change direction.
- Make sure the player accelerates to the other end line once past the defender.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.