Finding the Target Player
The Finding the Target Player possession passing drill is designed to encourage midfield and defensive players to look up the field to find the "Target Player" and play into that Target player.
Soccer Target Players - Finding the Target Player
The Finding the Target Player drill is designed to encourage midfield and defensive players to look up field to find the Target Player.
- Create a large grid approximately 40X40 yards.
- Adjust the size of the field based on the number of players and their age.
- Divide the team into two even teams in alternate jerseys.
- Each team should build a 10X10 grid on their attacking end and place one target player in this grid. (see diagram)
- The two teams play against each by keeping possession from the opposing team.
- The team in possession should be looking to play a flighted ball into their team's target player who is inside the 10X10 grid.
- If the target player successfully controls the ball inside the box that team is awarded a point.
- The player that played into the target player then becomes the target player.
- Create a larger box for the target player and add a defender with the target player (have the defensive player be somewhat passive at first)
Drill Coaching Points
- Make sure players are getting their heads up quickly to find the target player
- Make sure players play the target player early.
- Make sure there is a clear distinction of playing "kickball" and playing early.
- Make sure it is a purposely placed pass rather than accidental.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.