Goalkeeper Warm-up Drill
The Goalkeeper Warm-up Drill is a great soccer goalkeeper warm-up drill to add to the pregame warm-up. Goalkeepers will love this warm-up.
Soccer Goalkeeper Warm-up Drill
This is a great soccer goalkeeper warm-up drill. This is a great warm-up to add to the pregame warm-up.
- This warmup will only require a goal and about 6 or so soccer balls.
- Make sure the goalkeeper has performed jogging, stretching and some light catching before performing this warmup.
- From the side of the goal, approximately 7 yards from goal, the coach should gather 6-7 soccer balls with one in hand.
- On the coach's command, instruct the goalkeeper to sprint out to touch the soccer ball you are holding, then quickly back peddle towards the goal (while keeping their eyes on the ball in your hand).
- As the keeper back peddles towards the goal throw a high lofted ball at the goal where the goalkeeper must punch over the crossbar or catch it.
- After the ball is caught, the coach throws a ball towards the near post in which the keeper must quickly react and push the ball past the post out of touch or catch the ball.
- The coach then quickly throws another ball towards the far post and the keeper must again catch or push the ball past the post.
- After this ball is caught the coach then shoots the next ball on goal and the keeper must make a save again.
- Now move to the other side of the goal and do it again.
- There is a lot of movement for the keeper involved in this warm-up, so be sure not to tire your keeper.
- This drill is designed to be dynamic and fast-paced, so make sure to instill that in your keeper prior to beginning the drill.
- Move back 3-4 yards and play every ball as a shot from the ground.
- Play more high balls where the keeper has to move back towards their goal.
- Quick footwork and movements.
- Cut off angles since shots are from sides.
- Keep Shoulders square to the ball.
- Quick recover from shots and being ready for rebounds
- Make sure keeper is correctly judging high balls.