Defensive Overlapping Drill
The Defensive Overlapping Drill is a great drill to teach fullbacks to overlap midfielders and getting the defenders into the attack. This is a great starting point to teaching defensive overlaps.
Defensive Overlapping Soccer Drill
This is a great drill to teach fullbacks to overlap midfielders and getting the defenders into the attack.
- Use half of the field with a full-size goal.
- Place a keeper in the goal.
- You will need two attackers, a central and outside midfielder, and a defensive player.
- Set the players up as shown in the diagram. Adjust the spacing to make the drill flow according to the field size and player skill set.
- The defensive back should start with the ball.
- The ball will start with the right fullback player (1) who passes to the ball to the right midfielder player (2).
- The right fullback (1) makes an overlapping run around the outside midfielder player.
- The right outside midfielder player (2) passes to the checking forward player (4).
- The forward player (4) drops the ball off to the center midfield player (3) who plays a ball towards the right corner flag onto the run of the right defensive player (1).
- The right defensive player should prep the ball and cross the ball into the two forwards (4) & (5) who have advanced towards the face of the goal.
- Continue on both sides of the field.
- Add players to run the same pattern on the left side of the field.
- Add passive defensive players to simulate pressure on the attackers.
Drill Coaching Points
- Quickly get into attacking half of field.
- Good timing of runs.
- Precise passes and 1 and 2 touch passing.
Soccer Drill Skill Focus
Top Rated Soccer Drills
It's always good to finishing a soccer training session with a 7 vs. 7 scrimmage to focus on team play.
Sharks and Minnows
The Sharks and Minnows dribbling drill focuses on using the body to protect the ball by placing their body in between the ball and the defender.
1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Spice up your shooting combination drill by finishing with a 1v1 to goal. Add a fun little twist, and the kids love it.
Pirates of the Pugg
This drill is an excellent drill for younger players ages 8-11 and focuses on dribbling technique in traffic which requires vision and awareness.
Alien Tag Soccer Game
Alien tag is a great Under 4 soccer game for 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. Your kids will like flying around and crashing in their spaceship.
4v4 Soccer to a Small Gate
4v4 in soccer is the smallest game focusing on all aspects of a full sided soccer match.
The Flag Game - Dribbling in Tight Spaces
The flat game soccer drill is designed to focus on young soccer players learning to dribble in tight spaces.
Four Corners Passing Game
The Four Corners Soccer Passing Game is a great soccer passing drill to focus on changing the point of the attack, and timing of runs and passes.
This drill is great to focus on 1v1 play. It is flexible and can be used to work on the offensive side or the defensive side.
A FUN soccer drill for younger players (U6, U7, and U8) to introduce dribbling, looking up and correctly striking the ball at a target.