The Passing Name Game Warm-up
The objective of this soccer drill is to help young players improve the speed of play by thinking a step-ahead of the play.
The Soccer Passing Name Game Warm-Up
This soccer pass game will help younger players improve the speed of play by thinking a step ahead of the play.
- Form a circle with each of the players on your team.
- Start with one ball.
- To play the name game, the player with the ball passes to a player.
- Before the receiving player receives the pass, they must yell the name of the next player in which they are going to pass.
- Upon the next player receiving the ball, they must yell the name of the next player in which they are going to pass.
- This is designed to make the players think a step ahead of the play.
- Make sure that each player has at least two touches on the ball; one touch to receive the pass, and the other touch to make the pass.
- Encourage players not to make a pass back to the player they received the pass from, and to pass to different people each time.
- Create a grid and play the same game as above except players are free to move about the grid.
- Add a second ball.
- Remind players to be thinking ahead to determine who they want to pass.
- Good first touch
- Quality passes