Soccer Control and Trapping Small Sided Game
This control and trapping game is a great exercise that focuses on controlling balls out of the air. Players throw the balls into their teammates, making it easier to focus on controlling balls out of the air and deciding where to direct your touches.
Soccer Control and Trapping Small Sided Game, Soccer Control, Soccer Trapping
This is a great exercise that focuses on control and trapping. It’s a great trapping drill that helps focus on when and where to receive the ball.
- Create a grid that is approximately 40X60 yards with goals on each end.
- Split the teams into 6v6 and place a goalkeeper in each goal.
- One team will start with the ball in their hands.
- This trapping game is not your typical 6v6 game as you play this game with your hands.
- The play should follow this order:
(1) a player throws to a teammate
(2) the teammate (receiving player) must control the ball to the ground
(3) the receiving player then picks up his trapped ball and throws it to a teammate.
- Players are not able to run while holding the ball.
- The opposition should attempt to intercept the ball by controlling the ball out of the air or picking up a poorly trapped ball from the other team.
- A goal can be stored at any point and from anywhere within the grid if the shot is taken immediately after controlling the ball to the ground.
- Change up the play by allowing players to:
(1) throw to a teammate;
(2) teammate controls the ball to the ground;
(3) he then passes the ball to the teammate;
(4) the teammate receiving the pass picks the ball up and throws it to another teammate.
- Focus on how and where to trap the ball
- Make sure supporting players move off the ball to create space and avoid pressure.
- Disc Cones - Mini or Full-Size Disc Cones are a critical piece of equipment that every soccer coach must have in your equipment bag.
- Scrimmage Pinnies/Vests - Scrimmage vests, also called bibs or pinnies, are also another must-have in your soccer coaching equipment bag.
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls - Every player should have a soccer balls at practice to have a successful training session.
- Full Size Goal - Full Size Goal