Create a field that is suitable for 4 vs. 4 soccer game
, approximately 30X40 yards. Create two windows about 5 yards wide on the right and left side of the end line. Split the players into two teams of five. Set up a 4 v 4
inside the grid. The additional player will be the target player who will start on the end line outside the cones on the end their team is attacking. You should have a supply of balls for this 4v4 soccer game
Teams play a normal 4v4 soccer game
, however, in order to score the attacking team target player must move behind one of the two windows and receive a pass through that window and be able to maintain a controlled possession.
Once the goal is made the attacking player who passed to the target player now becomes the target player and they switch roles. The defending team takes possession and the game continues.
- Add a third window in the center of the end line.
- If you want to focus on target players you might instruct the players to not rotate and allow one player to work as a target player longer.
4 vs. 4 Offense Game
4 vs. 4 Defensive Game
- Vision - players should be able to look up and read the game with their eyes since the number of players are limited. Player's heads should be on a constant pivot.
- Communication - make sure players are communicating both verbally and non-verbally.
- Support - make sure players are using the entire playing area (width and length) to get into good supporting angles. Create passing options that allows the receiving players the most time and space.
- Appropriate use of 1st touch
- Appropriate use of short or long passing
- Changes in the direction and speed of play
- Create goal scoring opportunities
- Good Defensive Principles - pressure, cover, balance
- Get as many people behind the ball as possible
- Good communication
Drill Target Ages
- U4, U-4, Under 4, 4 and Under
- U5, U-5, Under 5, 5 and Under
- U6, U-6, Under 6, 6 and Under
- U7, U-7, Under 7, 7 and Under
- U8, U-8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17 and Older
Soccer Drill Focus
Soccer Drill Titled:
4v4 + Target Players with 2 Goals
4v4, 4 vs 4, 4 on 4, soccer