- Build a circle approximately the size of the center circle. The actual size of the circle will vary depending on the age and skill level of the players.
- Place a Pugg Goal in the middle of the circle.
- All players start in the playing area.
- Dedicate 9 players with the ball, and 3 players without a ball are the "Pirates."
- Instruct the "Pirates" without the ball to defend the players with the balls.
- Once the Pirate wins the ball, they attempt to score on the Pugg Goal in the middle of the circle.
- If the Pirate scores the goal, that player becomes a Pirate.
- Play continues until the last player with the ball wins.
- If the pirates have a hard time getting started, the coach can help the pirates at first.
Attacking: keep the ball close with head up so the players are aware of defenders and safety areas (space). If the ball is lost, recover quickly and fight to win it back.
Defending: Transition quickly from defense to offensive and stay focused once the ball is won, and find the target.
- Disc Cones
- Scrimmage Pennies/Vests
- Soccer Practice or Training Balls
- Pugg Goal or Mini Soccer Goal
Drill Target Ages
- U7, U-7, Under 7, 7 and Under
- U8, U-8, Under 8, 8 and Under
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
Soccer Drill Focus
Soccer Drill Titled:
Pirates of the Pugg
Pirate Game, Pirates of the Pugg Goal