1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
1v1 Shooting Drill
Published 2/21/2017 2:55:48 AM
Author: Chris Johnson
This 1v1 drill focuses on a passing combination with movement off the ball and finishes with a one vs. one to goal. If players miss they become the keeper and the game continues. Players love the fun, competitive twist of being able to make a player become a goalkeeper.
- Set cones in the shape of a diamond about 20 yards from goal. Each cone about 12 yards apart. Adjust the size based on the age and skill level of your players.
- Instruct one player to start at cone 2, 3, and 4. The remaining players form a line behind cone 1.
- Instruct one player to start in the goal (not necessarily the goalkeeper as this will change).
- A supply of balls should be placed near cone 1.
- Player 1 starts with the ball and passes to player 2. Player 1 follows the pass and moves to player 2's place.
- Player 2 passes to player 3 and moves into quickly moves into defensive position.
- Player 3 passes to player 4 and takes 4's place.
- Player 4 receives the ball and immediately takes on player 2 in 1v1 battle to goal.
- If player 4 doesn't score in the 1 vs 1, player 4 becomes the keeper. If player 4 scores, keeper remains.
Drill Coaching Points:
- Good passing combination
- Quick Movement off the ball
- Good defensive posture and positioning
- Shooter beats the defender with speed and gets a shot on target.
If players are struggling with the one vs. one play and not many shots are being taken, reduce the role of the defensive player to 50%. If players still struggle to score or get shots off, remove the defensive player.
Titled: 1v1 Diamond Shooting Drill
Tagged: 1v1 Shooting Drill