Finding the Target Player
Soccer Target Players - Finding the Target Player
Published 8/8/2007 10:04:41 PM
Author: Chris Johnson
The Finding the Target Player possession passing drill is designed to encourage midfield and defensive players to look up the field to find the "Target Player" and play into that Target player.
- Create a large grid approximately 40X40 yards.
- Adjust the size of the field based on the number of players and their age.
- Divide the team into two even teams in alternate jerseys.
- Each team should build a 10X10 grid on their attacking end and place one target player in this grid. (see diagram)
- The two teams play against each by keeping possession from the opposing team.
- The team in possession should be looking to play a flighted ball into their team's target player who is inside the 10X10 grid.
- If the target player successfully controls the ball inside the box that team is awarded a point.
- The player that played into the target player then becomes the target player.
Drill Coaching Points:
- Make sure players are getting their heads up quickly to find the target player
- Make sure players play the target player early.
- Make sure there is a clear distinction of playing "kickball" and playing early.
- Make sure it is a purposely placed pass rather than accidental.
- Create a larger box for the target player and add a defender with the target player (have the defensive player be somewhat passive at first)
Titled: Finding the Target Player
Tagged: Soccer Target Players - Finding the Target Player