4v3 Attack vs. Defense
4v3 Attack vs Defense
Published 12/7/2005 12:00:00 AM
Author: Chris Johnson
This attacking soccer drill is a great drill to focus on finishing. Since the attackers have the numerical advantage, they should learn how to exploit their advantage and finish with a shot on goal.
- Set up a 30 X 30 grid with one side playing to goal.
- Coach assigns 3 defenders who wear an alternate jersey.
- The attackers begin with the ball.
- Place a keeper in goal.
- Instruct the players to exploit their numerical advantage and finish with a shot on goal.
- Attackers should move the ball looking for the open player and holes in the defense.
- Defenders should attempt to break-down the attack and to gain experience in how to cover a man-down situation.
- Defensive players should complete a pass to the coach to end the attack.
- The coach should then give the ball back to the attackers to build the attack again.
Drill Coaching Points:
- Quickly switch the point of attack to off-balance the defense.
- Play quick both physically (1 and 2 touch) and mentally (think ahead).
- Make sure the players are attacking at the appropriate times
- Contain the play and keep the ball in front of the defense.
- Early pressure and do not allow space behind the defenders.
- Increase the number of attackers (or decrease the number of defenders) if scoring chances are infrequent.
- Increase the number of defenders (or decrease the number of attackers) if scoring chances are too frequent
Titled: 4v3 Attack vs. Defense
Tagged: 4v3 Attack vs Defense